An Innovation Management System
An Innovation Management System is a guiding framework for all types of companies and other organizations that want to strengthen their innovation capabilities. It is a check list, based on a systems approach, of what the organization should consider implementing given its overall innovation ambitions and abilities. The guiding framework is generic and adaptable and does not prescribe specific tools or methods.
There are seven key elements in the framework: context, leadership, planning, support, operations, evaluation, and improvement.
What is ISO 56002?
The world’s first guiding international management system standard has been developed by ISO, the International Organization for Standardization, with about 50 participating countries. ISO 56002:2019 Innovation management system – Guidance was published in July 2019.
It is applicable to:
- organizations seeking sustained success by developing and demonstrating their ability to effectively manage innovation activities to achieve the intended outcomes;
- users, customers, and other interested parties, seeking confidence in the innovation capabilities of an organization;
- organizations and interested parties seeking to improve communication through a common understanding of what constitutes an IMS;
- providers of training in, assessment of, or consultancy for, innovation management and IMS;
- policy makers, aiming for higher effectiveness of support programs targeting the innovation capabilities and competitiveness of organizations and the development of society.
Why it is Important?
- A globally agreed guiding standard for innovation management will establish a common terminology and a credible reference framework, including innovation management principles.
- Help managers to understand what innovation is and what it takes to effectively manage innovation activities.
- Companies and organizations can adopt a systemic and systematic approach to address their innovation challenges that will increase the likelihood for success.
- The guiding framework is compatible, and can be integrated, with management systems in other areas, such as quality and environment, in the organization.
- It also provides the basis for consultants offering innovation management services.
Benefits of ISO 56002:2019
- Increased ability to manage uncertainty;
- Increased growth, revenue, profitability and competitiveness;
- Reduce cost & waste, increased productivity and resource efficiency;
- Improved sustainability and resilience;
- Increased satisfaction of users, customer, citizens, and other interested parties;
- Sustained renewal of the portfolio of offerings;
- Engaged and empower people in the organization;
- Facilitated compliance with regulations and other relevant requirements.
Definition of innovation
“new or changed product, service, process, model, method, etc. realizing or redistributing value”
Leave a Comment