Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI)
What is CMMI?
The Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI)® is a proven set of global best practices that drives business performance through building and benchmarking key capabilities.
Originally created for the U.S. Department of Defense to assess the quality and capability of their software contractors, CMMI models have expanded beyond software engineering to help any organization in any industry build, improve, and measure their capabilities and improve performance.
For over 25 years, high-performing organizations around the world have achieved demonstrable, sustainable business results with CMMI.
Why build Capability?
of businesses say building capability is among their top three priorities.
of organizations struggle to bridge the gap between strategy, formulation, and implementation because they lack capabilities.
of S&P’s current firms will be replaced by 2027 because they can’t identify and develop capabilities.
CMMI Capability Areas
CMMI V2.0 is one model with multiple customized views that apply to different business environments, enabling organizations to create a view of the model that meets their specific performance improvement needs. Learn more about the following views of the V2.0 model:
CMMI Supplier Management
This online tool allows users to browse the model, download sections, and view context-specific content.
What is an Appraisal?
An appraisal is an activity that helps you to identify the strengths and weaknesses of your organization’s processes and to examine how closely the processes relate to CMMI best practices.
Many organizations find value in measuring their capability and performance by conducting an appraisal to identify and prioritize their business improvement eﬀorts and eventually earning a benchmark maturity level or a capability level achievement.
Appraisals are typically conducted to:
- Determine how well the organization’s processes compare to CMMI best practices, and identify areas where improvement can be made.
- Inform external customers and suppliers about how well the organization’s processes compare to CMMI best practices.
- Meet customer contractual requirements.
Benefits of an Appraisal
Appraisal activities can help organizations at any stage of their CMMI adoption and are proven to enable more rapid and eﬀective improvement eﬀorts. The CMMI Appraisal Method is designed to support your CMMI journey as a proven best practice to ensure the most eﬃcient and eﬀective improvement results. They provide reliable, clear, consistent, and actionable focus on performance improvements that will have the most impact on the business and help build and improve capability.
An appraisal enables your organization to:
- Plan for an improvement strategy for your organization to prioritize the most important business performance improvement.
- Mitigate risks for product and service acquisition, development, delivery, and monitoring.
- Demonstrate to customers and business partners the soundness of your processes by having your appraisal results available on the Published Appraisal Results (PARS)
- Determine the CMMI levels that represent how well your organization’s processes conform to the CMMI.
What CMMI implemented organization have to say!
- Neoway Supports Analytics as a Service Through Better Data Management
- Minacs Achieves Zero Defect Environment Using CMMI
- G&P Realizes Measurable ROI and Reduces Bureaucracy with CMMI
- Diligent Consulting Reduces Recurring Errors to Zero with CMMI
- AEGIS has tripled in size in terms of revenue and headcount since beginning its organizational process improvement journey with CMMI
- CMMI® Helps Create Consistent Performance Management for Mission Critical Operations at CAE
- CMMI® Maturity Level 5 Strengthens Cognizant’s Culture of Continuous Improvement
- Using CMMI® to Decrease Time to Market and Lower Costs Helps Allianz Stay Competitive.